Aside from other problems I have had with today's meeting (which I don't want to discuss here), I have found an interesting paradox. It would appear that my childrens centre doesn't cater for working families.
Whilst I am aware that the aim of the support on offer is for Mum and Baby, the assumption is that no one works. All services are monday-friday 9am-5pm. It was a weirdly surreal experience to be there as it felt like I was being treated as a single parent.
The support that is being given, should be given to us as a family. Whilst I am aware that I have different needs to Daniel, I was under the impression that the point of the support is not about me, or him but our unborn child. In this case, as we are equal parents we should be seen as equals.
I am not a single parent, nor should I be made to feel like
one by only involving me in activities and support related to and concerning
our baby. In addition, as Daniel is my main carer (in the context of my
impairment) and the person who understands my impairment and its disabling
effects the most I feel unable to engage with a service that operates within
his working hours.
I hope it really isn’t the
case that they can only provide support for unemployed or part time workers, if we can’t access their support as a
family, and as it is as a family we need support then it will be of little help
to us.
It raises interesting questions about the nature of the support and who their target audience is assumed to be. Whilst I am aware that childrens centres are meant to be there for unemployed people (in some way at least) shouldn't they also be there for waged families as well?
No comments:
Post a Comment