I dont feel "human". I feel pregnant, othered,
separate. A special form of disability. Ironically i don’t feel like a woman
either, even though I'm becoming more like a stereotypical 1950’s housewife
every day.
I feel “in limbo”, where I’m not quite a mother, but not
quite “a woman”. Im “pregnant”. There is a stereotype and a separate category
for this period of life. It is “future focused” and there are times where you
are very much treated as if you are simply a vessel for your unborn child.
Everything is centred on doing the best for your unborn child. Primarily this
is sensible, eating the “right thing” doing “the right thing” etc. but it is
not about the now, it is about the future. If you look in the media there is so
much emphasis on the baby’s experience in the womb having an impact on their
future it is not a surprise to have this focus. The premise is that the more “normal”
a pregnancy you have the more “normal” a baby you will have.
I am reminded of my dissertation where I created an idea
called spheres of normalcy. Basically there are norms that are like circles
that people drift in and out of, closer and further away to the stereotypical
norm of that particular group or characteristic. It is about “belonging” within
a group, within the circle and having an identity. It is about feeling human in
relation to other people. If you don’t fit in the circles, you exist within the
gaps, supposedly without an identity. These spheres that I looked at for my
dissertation concentrated on the university micro society, but it can be
applied to any situation. For example if you imagine a sphere of normalcy for
disabled and non-disabled people, there would be certain characteristics that
would mean you would be closer inside one circle or another. It would also
depend on you definition of disabled and non-disabled, but again, its about
belonging, so there would be many different spheres for the many different ways
to identify as “disabled” or “non-disabled”. They could overlap, or exist separately.
However, if you don’t feel you belong within or can find your disabled or non-disabled
identity then you would, in theory be within the gaps.
I didn’t focus too much on the gaps within my dissertation
bar saying that this was an excluded group as they were without identity and
often ignored within the society (university) I was focusing on. It also
depends on the dominant discourse within that society as to how these circles
are constructed and who controls the “borders” of entry and exit. The creation
of the social model of disability for example created a new discourse (or
circle of normal) for people to exist within who had previously existed within
the gaps.
However, I now find myself revisiting this concept to
reflect on my current experiences of being pregnant. I don’t feel I fit within
any of societies norms or circles. I don’t feel disabled, because I’m pregnant,
but then I’m not quite pregnant because I’m disabled. I’m not quite a Woman
because I’m disabled and a housewife, but then I’m not quite a housewife
because I’m pregnant and disabled.
I can be a newly married, pregnant woman, but not disabled,
or a disabled woman (but being pregnant and married doesn’t quite fit). All the
labels that I should be using to define me just don’t quite fit me. I’m not
normal in any sense of the word, which means I feel like I don’t belong. I fall
between the gaps.
Is this a bad thing though? (to be continued here: http://concernningthenormal.blogspot.com/2014/02/not-quite-pregnant-ponderings-on-human_13.html
No comments:
Post a Comment