(blog mentions a bit about medical reasons for abortion)
The power of the medical professionals scares me. It is even more apparent in pregnancy where you are subject to routine tests and other procedures done "for the good of the baby". I remember the first time it was mentioned to me that I needed to have a vaccine. It was said in passing to me as I was leaving one of my midwife appointments. I waited until my next one to ask exactly what it was and why it was needed. It is assumed that if a medical professional says its a good thing, its a good thing.
If you look at the tests and procedures that happen during pregnancy, they are in the main designed to protect you and your unborn baby from harm. However, if you look beyond the surface there are a few things wrong with some of these things.
The 20 week scan is called the anomaly scan. It is put in at 20 weeks because (in my opinion at least) the legal limit for abortion is 24 weeks. If there is something "wrong" with baby then there are "options" available. Its the same with the 12 week scan for downs syndrome testing.
I have had today the anti D injection, whooping cough vaccine and the flu jab (go me!). Apart from feeling like a pin cushion I am hopefully doing ok. There is an expectation that you will comply for the good of the baby.
For me there is an even greater reason to comply and not resist. If I turned around and said, its ok I don't need this test to find out if Baby has Downs syndrome or the anomaly scan it would be "concerning" to the midwives and the medical professionals. Not because it would be seen as my choice, but because it would be seen through the eyes of my disability and that I was somehow not able to make that rational choice. I would be seen as priotising my needs over the "needs" of my baby.
I could make a very convincing argument as to why these things are not "needed" (at least some of them) but in order to save myself from further scrutiny it is easier to comply and not resist. Resistance, as the borg say is futile. I can leave the rational arguments against scanning and testing in my head and on this blog (if I choose to) but I know that it would be dangerous to let them enter the real world.
The control that the medical professionals have scares me. There is little or no room for questioning their decision, especially if you are considered through the eyes of certain labels (like me). They know best and their word is law. It is the reason why disabled people rebelled and made the social model. To counter this oppressive power and control over their lives. It is, I think important for the medical professionals to remember that in general people are experts in their bodies.
I can give an example. Last week at my midwife appointment I insisted that my blood was taken to test the effectiveness of the drugs I take. Despite the midwife's instinace that I was tired because I was pregnant and that there was "no need" for me to be tested, she eventually allowed the blood test which revealed that yes, my drugs did need increasing, which will hopefully have a real impact on how tired I have been feeling. It was a really risky thing to do to question the midwife, but as I know my own body I shouldn't have been put in the position of resistance but of power and acceptance that I knew what was best. I think the medical professionals are scared to let the patients have any form of control over their bodies for fear of.. well I don't know.. resistance? rebellion? what is the worst that could happen?
As a final thought did you know midwives are obsessed with testing urine? They seem to love it. I know there's a genuine reasons but it makes me giggle that every time I go to them, even if its not part of my regular appointment schedule its "can you give me a sample?" (as if going to the toilet is some kind of Olympic sport for a pregnant woman? (for the uninitiated by this stage my bladder is a personal trampoline for baby to play on)
No comments:
Post a Comment