Thursday, 3 April 2014

A positive birth choice!

I have been reading a book recently and it states that being pregnant and giving birth is political. That is, it doesn't happen in isolation, but in context to the environment and societal pressures and priorities at that time.

Looking back in history the way women give birth has gone through many different phases of what is considered normal, acceptable and "allowed". At the moment, within the UK and the NHS the focus is very much on natural birth, but in a hospital context. This is usually in a separate part of the hospital to the "main" delivery suites in something called the midwife led unit. It is part of the whole current NHS approach to pregnancy and childbirth that states that it is a perfectly normal part of life and shouldn't be "medicalised".

Although pregnancy and birth IS very medicalised at the moment (GP's, doctors, scans, blood tests, monitoring etc etc.), what the NHS in the UK has done is set the parameters of a natural birth a little bit wider to encompass some form of medical intervention whilst keeping with the natural ethos, the best of both as it were. Ultimately this translates into making "natural birth" the "best thing" for "the majority of people".

Which leaves me..

When I first started looking into my birth choices the NHS actually used the word normal birth to describe natural birth. It felt very restrictive and prescriptive as to how women should be approaching what is a very big decision. I felt increasingly under pressure and unable to make a proper informed decision without the very obvious bias having an influence. I sought out and researched ALL birth choices and all the risks and benefits associated with them. I got independent and impartial advice from various different sources (as any good student would do).

I had made my decision, based on my personal situation and what is best for all concerned. Now, the difficulty (it would seem) would be to get this implemented and acted upon. I was, initially met with support from some agencies and curiosity from others. Ultimately what made the process hardest was the NHS burecracy that states that "non normative" birth choices can only be confirmed at 36 weeks pregnant. By some fluke I managed to get my birth choice confirmed by week 30, but I guess thats just me and my attitude.

I want to make a positive declaration and affirmation. I am giving birth by caesarean section. I see this as an achievement an a culmination of my 9 month transitional journey into motherhood. I am doing this, not out of ease or convenience, but as a result of a long process of decision making. Although I might not experience the pain of labour, I will experience the pain of recovery. Ulitmately I will still feel the same sense of achievement when my baby is handed to me for the first time and satisfaction that I have carried them for the last 9 months safely into this world. I ask not to be judged or particularly questioned about this decision because I have been through all the risks, benefits and associated factors and have made an informed decision based on those. All I ask is that you respect and accept my decision and continue to support me in whatever way you have been through this process. I was planning to keep this decision to myself, but ultimately that feels like I have attached some sort of shame to it, that I am hiding it and not treating it as a positive thing. I want to be out and proud about the decision that I have made and not be ashamed or feel abnormal or unnatural for doing so. I am keeping the details of the birth private (for I hope obvious reasons) so please respect this decision.

thanks


No comments:

Post a Comment