I am finding it somewhat ironic to be in this situation. When I was 9
weeks pregnant it was agreed by my midwife, husband and I that having a
baby would incur some extra difficulties for me due to my impairment
and that I should go through the process of seeking support for this. To
get to 36 weeks and be relieved when the outcome of this initial
premise has been proven to be false demonstrates to me that either the
assessment system is flawed (and that I do need extra support) or that
there was another agenda, hidden from view.
Unfortunately my
experiences throughout this time have made me come to the conclusion
that it is the latter that is more likely to be true. Although it was
put to us that my impairment meant that I could do with some support in
pregnancy, birth and parenthood, the actual focus wasn’t on my husband
and I but that of our unborn child. By placing a child’s needs who by
legal definition has no rights pre-birth above ours skews the support on
offer to become that of assessing our capability as parents in a
deficit framework as oppose to a supportive one. That is to say that all
the assessments and interventions we experienced over this time have
focused on what we can’t do and can’t provide as a family due to my
impairment, rather than what we can or what we might need additional
support with.
The guidance on the internet backs
this up, placing parents who are disabled in the same category of need
as substance addicted parents and parents with complex and multiple
problems and needs. The power of the label as a tool of judgement
against me was total. By nature of being a disabled mum to be my child
must be in need and lacking of something essential to their safety and
wellbeing. This is the premise that these assessments start from. They
don’t start from the premise that all parents to be are lacking of their
parenting ability until they become parents and even then this skill is
not automatic and has to be learnt and is achieved through mistakes and
experience. By expecting disabled parents parental capability to be
above even that of their non-disabled peers places a huge amount of
pressure and expectations upon these parents, who like me, might have
their own barriers to overcome before even considering how to parent
(but that should in no way be seen as a deficit or even the fault of the
parents: it could be societal barriers etc.).
Our
family has spent the last month going through absolute hell. We have
been surviving day to day, emotionally fragile and physically exhausted.
We have been intensively and intrusively questioned about every aspect
of our current and past lives and in even more detail about the impact
of my impairment on my ability to be a parent. Having to answer
questions that are basically requiring the skills of a psychic in a way
that not only satisfies the assessor but also accurately reflects
personal opinion and expectation has been, well, weird. We lost sight of
the whole process and ourselves, feeling the pressure of being
negatively labelled and battling against the power of self-fulfilling
prophesy that the assessments were placing on us. Clinging on to what
little pieces of humanity we had left was very difficult and at times
impossible to achieve, with us only just managing to make it through the
day intact.
We went from seeking support to
seeking a way out of the system. It became very clear to us early on
that the “support” on offer was only judgement and assumptive concepts
of disabled parents wrapped up in positivity and care. Although we
still, underneath it all might need support because of my impairment we
would be reluctant to seek it again because of our experiences.
It
is a surprising and ironic conclusion that we (or should I say our
child) has been assessed as not “in need” from a system that is
institutionally disablist and that labels all disabled people as
incapable parents . I would be hesitant to call it a victory, because I
don’t think that finding one family capable of being parents will make
any significant changes to the whole system or the assumptions and
prejudice that exist within it, which saddens me. Our family is lucky,
well-educated and well supported, but it shouldn’t be lucky to be
labelled as capable parents despite/because of our individual
circumstances, it should be the premise that all assessments should
start from and not conclude with.
It sounds as if nothing has changed since I had my child in 2003, she was removed whenshe was 12 weeks as I had no support from family and was expected and unable to parent her totally alone :-(
ReplyDeleteYou are lucky to have your husband, trust your own instincts and do yment everything, write, record, video - do not trust social services, is the best advice I can give you from my own experience